Friday, February 04, 2011

Helpers

I had a long post in my mind...but decided to make it a bit shorter. I don't want to make anyone bored of our blog. :) In a previous post, I mentioned about feeling overwhelmed sometimes. I am a very scheduled/routine kind of person. I like things to get done, and get done on time (preferably have my to-do list done before I go to bed each night). And if something gets in my way of getting it done, I get overwhelmed. I have been really trying hard to change this. Realizing that I don't have to get everything done when I think it needs to be. Sometimes it is better to leave things undone and snuggle with Chloe, or play a game or read a story to Seth & Ethan. I need to enjoy the moments with them now as they are growing up so fast! I can still do this and have a tidy house too. :)
After a talk with my mom, she mentioned to me that the boys are old enough to do some chores around the house to help out. I also heard from a friend at Ladies Bible study group, that kids who help out with chores in the home feel more part of the family. They feel included and that they are helping contribute to the family. So we came up with a chore list. They are all age appropriate for the boys. Each morning they have to get dressed, make their beds (it is done "their own way" and I am fine with that!), brush their teeth, and clear their dishes from the table. They also need to make sure the family room and play room are tidy.

Seth also has to sweep the floor each evening after supper, and collect the garbage from around the house.

Ethan has the job of emptying the dishwasher (he can't reach the cupboards yet, but puts them on the counter and I put them away, every little bit helps!)

And their reward...well at first, I wasn't keen on the reward idea for doing chores. But it seems to help and to motivate them to do their chores. If done with a cheerful heart, they get to add a marble to the jar. And sometimes they get to put a very large marble in the jar if they do something unexpected to help out. Once the jar is filled up, they get treated to something. The jar has been worked on since Christmas time and it is finally filled up...so we are thinking of treating them by going out for supper tonight. Then we start all over again.
Having the boys help with some chores around the house has been so helpful. Sometimes the jobs are not done to my standards but that it OK. I can teach them to do their best and with age comes improvement. And I do still help them out every now and then to give them a break. :)
Another thing I find helpful is meal planning. I have been doing this for years and it really helps to know what groceries I need each week and what to make each day. I plan the week and base it on my dear hubby's schedule. Some days we have quick and easy meals. But this way we get a variety as well. I also have been trying a new recipe every now and then. Two nice websites I check out is allrecipes.com and Kraft kitchens. Meals in the crock pot are great too...less fuss, less mess and great taste! Stuffed peppers, Slow cooker pot roast, and Crock pot lasagna to name a few. Yummy!!!
Another great thing for me is music...listening to nice music can help. I am loving Keith and Kristyn Getty!! Thanks to my sister for letting me borrow her CD. :) And I also love the boy choir Libera. Such nice music!! I have also started up "Quiet time" again. Ethan gets some quiet time/play time in his room while Chloe is napping. Then I get a chance to read, rest or work on my Bible study lesson.

Well...I guess this post did end up a little longer than I thought. Hopefully you made it to the end! :)

7 comments:

jen said...

All great tips! Thank you! I think it is a very good idea to give the boys chores too...sounds like they are doing a great job! :O)

Jen said...

Sounds like you have a good routine!! Emily has started "helping" out around the house, too. She makes her bed, folds the hand towels and face clothes when I fold laundry, and is responsible for picking up the play room. She gets a little resistant to the rules when she realizes she's cleaning up Jacob's mess ;) But she's fairly consistent. We have a reward system, too, using stickers. I think it's okay to reward for good behaviour. She also has to obey our house rules of using her words, being kind to her brother, and listening to mom and dad to earn her sticker. Seems to be working :)
Quiet time sounds very appealing to me... I wonder if I could convince Emily ;) Good post!

Heather said...

Great job, Jen! I read in a Dobson book that adults get rewards for working(paycheque, etc), so it's hardly fair to expect our kids to work just for the sake of working. Not that we have to reward them for everything, but rewards are definitely a positive motivator!
Keep it up!

Lucy van Eyk said...

A friend of mine gave me a great tip. I followed it and it has been a wonderful success. I now have my plates/bowls and cups in a low cupboard and my cutlery in a lower drawer so the little ones can set the table and empty the dishwasher without much difficulty!

Every year around this time I think of your Aunt Judy. We grew up together and our birhtdays were, I guess they still are, only three days apart. My parents had intended to name me Judy but that had to be changed since she came first. The first birthday party I went to I thought your mom was her mom, not her sister. Would you be so kind as to wish her a happy birthday from her long ago friend!

Lisa Beth W. said...

Good ideas, Jennifer!

I visit allrecipes.com very often! I have found so many good recipes on there.

And we just recently got some of the Getty's music from itunes. :)

Tell the boys "good job" from Uncle Herm and Aunt Lisa! :)

Household of Faith said...

Thanks Ladies for your comments...it is still working so far.

Jen P.- quiet time is a good practice for school since they get rest time in JK and SK...that is why we do it (and for me too) :)

Lucy-I called my aunt Judy and left a message with her sending birthday wishes to her from you. :) And Happy birthday to you as well!

Lucy van Eyk said...

Thanks!