I read this the other day in our devotional "Night Lights for Parents" by Dr. James & Shirley Dobson. It is a little encouragement to those parents raising young kids. Sometime I get overwhelmed by how busy life gets and raising 2 boys, but this reminded me of our important task that we have as parents. I just wanted to share this. It is something to think about.
'As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower in the field, so he flourisheth. For the wind passeth over it, and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more' Psalm 103:15-16
"When eternal values come in view, it becomes our greatest desire to please our Lord and influence as many others for Him as possible, beginning with our own sons, or daughters, and loved ones.
If we truly believe that the eternal souls of our children hang in the balance-that only by winning them for Christ can we spend eternity together with them in heaven-will we change the way each day is lived? Will we ignore and neglect so great an opportunity if our eyes are fully opened to this awesome responsibility? I think not. I pray not.
As for you mothers and father who still have kids at home, may I urge you to keep this biblical truth in view as you race through the days of your lives. Don't permit yourselves to become discouraged with the responsibilities of parenting. Yes, it is an exhausting and difficult assignment, and there are times when you will feel like throwing in the towel. But I beg you to stay on course! Get on your knees before the Lord and ask daily for His strength and wisdom. Finish the job to which He has called you! There is no more important task in living, and you will understand that assignment more clearly when you stand where Shirley and I are today. In the blink of an eye, you will be hugging your children goodbye and returning to an empty house. You will pause for a moment to utter a prayer that the values and lessons you've imparted over the years have taken root in your sons or daughters and that they will bear fruit for the kingdom for the rest of their lives."
2 comments:
Hey Jenn - we have the same devotional book - it's good!!! Haven't read it in a while - maybe I'll have to start at the beginning again :o)
I'm reading through the same devotional right now, but havn't gotten to that one. Thanks for posting this - it's good to be reminded of our ultimate purpose as parents - even though at times it is a very scary responsibility!
Stacey, if you read this again - I still have your book, so I'll get it back to you soon so that you can read it again :0)
Post a Comment