Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Valentines Day


Yesterday was valentines day. I went grocery shopping right after bringing the boys to school and found it interesting at the amount of men shopping for flowers, cards and candy for their significant others. Around here, we don't go with the flow of celebrating this special day. I know my hubby loves me and I love him so we don't need to do anything fancy about the day as society does. The kids still send valentines to their friends/teachers at school and receive lots of special cards and treats as well. And I made some special heart shaped cookies (as pictured above) and we enjoyed it as an after school snack. We also received a 'What I'll do for Love' coupon booklet from Seth. :)

One thing I really enjoy doing is making a special meal that we all enjoy, followed by a special dessert and eating by candle light. :) Last nights meal was homemade pizza, and then the kids had ice cream with berries and Paul and I had a homemade strawberry pie with whipping cream for dessert. I was going to serve grape juice in fancy cups, but I forgot. Oh well. It really didn't matter. We all enjoyed it the meal.

One special thing was hearing a prayer by one of our children after our meal..."Thank you God for this yummy supper, for full bellies, for the special treats, and for the nice candles we have get to have tonight". It's moments like these that make certain holidays special. Not the cards, candies and flowers, that can come anytime of the year. It's the spending time together and making memories with our kids! 

2 comments:

Taunya said...

Isn't it fun?! we made a cake too - just because it makes the day feel special. your pizza dinner with candles is a great memory for the kids.

Kerri said...

Jen, it sounds like you are doing a great job being a mom and taking the time to create memories for your kids!
Kerri